Steps to Take After an Auto Accident
Advice from knowledgeable car accident attorneys in Ventura County
If you have been involved in an auto, truck or motorcycle accident, there are certain steps you need to take immediately to protect your ability to collect damages from negligent parties. You should perform the following actions after your accident:
- Take color photographs of anything you think might be useful. Items to focus on include the accident scene, skid marks on the road leading up to the crash site and the damage done to your motor vehicle. You should also take photos of your injuries immediately after your accident and in the days and weeks following it so you can show the progression of your injuries.
- Seek medical attention. It is crucial that you go to a doctor's office or hospital as soon as possible after an accident. You may feel fine in the hours after a relatively minor accident, but bruises and strained muscles tend to reveal themselves within two to three days of an accident. Additionally, some serious internal injuries — such as brain damage — may go undetected for quite some time unless a healthcare professional examines you and runs the appropriate tests. Prompt action on your part can lead to the earlier diagnosis and treatment of a medical condition. This will also aid you in getting a fair resolution of your case.
- Save all evidence you can. Bloody clothes and material possessions damaged in an accident can support the photos you have taken and further bolster your story. Physical evidence gives judges and juries tangible objects to look at should your case go to trial.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. When you receive your copy of the police report, check to make sure the information the responding officer recorded is accurate. Report any incorrect information to the police department. Police reports contain valuable pieces of information that an accident attorney from our firm can use on your behalf, but uncorrected mistakes will harm your claim.
- Write down your memories of the accident. While the details of how the accident occurred and any factors you believe played a role in it may be fresh in your mind right now, memories fade over time. It is important to document everything you can about your accident as soon as possible. This includes information from witnesses.
- Explore your legal options by talking to our attorneys. You know you have been injured and have suffered losses, but are you aware of how to identify responsible parties or go about initiating a personal injury claim? At The Law Office of Bryman & Apelian, our car accident attorneys have more than 55 years of experience doing just that. We work with technical and medical experts when needed to determine your best course of action after an accident, present your options to you and vigorously advocate on your behalf.
- Catalog your lost wages and other expenses. A detailed list of all wage losses you have experienced as a result of your accident can be used to help you increase the value of your claim and get back what you deserve.
Mistakes to avoid
There are several key mistakes you can make after a car accident that can jeopardize your chances of recovering compensation from liable parties or greatly reduce the compensation you receive. You should never:
- Admit that you are even "partially" at fault
- Talk to or sign anything from an Insurance Company
- Neglect seeing a doctor as soon as possible or to ignore your doctor's orders
Contact our law firm today to hire a highly experienced car accident lawyer
At the Law Office of Bryman & Apelian, our auto accident lawyers represents victims in Bakersfield, Fresno, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Glendale, Riverside, northern California counties, Thousand Oaks, Ventura, Agoura Hills, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, San Fransisco, and all of northern California. and the State of California. We keep flexible office hours, offer home appointments and operate on a contingency fee basis. You pay us absolutely nothing unless we win your case.
Reach out to our accident lawyers online or at 818.225.5151 to schedule a free consultation if you were injured in a car, truck or motorcycle accident.